Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sculpture & Architecture


  Fashion is an interdisciplinary thing. From painting it takes colors, changing with the seasons. From drawing and graphic design it takes prints. And it even takes something from sculpture and architecture, even though it sounds quite crazy to compare your dress with a piece of marble or with a building. If you don't believe me, you cannot argue with Coco Chanel: "Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions 

 The first thing I see when I'm clothes-shopping is a color, textile and then the feel of it in my hands. That's the first selection, but then comes the most important test: how does it fit? In other words: how does it sculpt me? How does it change my proportions? Does it make the construction of my body natural/big/weird/hilarious? How do I move in it? Does it add some grace or clumsiness into my moves? How does it moves on me? That's the thing with ball-gowns, tulle and frills- we love the way it sways, the way it adds delicacy into our moves, it's like adding +100 points to our Grace level. 
 
  Another thing about architectural side of fashion- it's usually hard to iron! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment